People choose to adopt KCS because they see a need to scale and extend their support capabilities, but do not have endless staffing or budget resources.
KCSsm has four basic concepts:
- Integrate the creation and maintenance of knowledge into the problem solving process
- Evolve content based on demand and usage
- Develop a knowledge base of collective experience to date
- Reward learning, collaboration, sharing, and improving
A Rich Methodology
Over the course of five revisions, KCS has evolved into a rich methodology: a set of practices for creating and maintaining knowledge in a support environment. Unlike the traditional add-on process of knowledge engineering, KCS is an integral part of day-to-day operation in support centers. KCS becomes the way people solve problems and creates knowledge as a by-product of problem solving.
While KCS is enabled by technology, KCS is primarily about people. People are the source of knowledge. KCS has proven that the best people to capture and maintain support knowledge are the people who create and use it every day – the support analysts.
For optimum performance, KCS practices and the tools that support them must be integrated with other support and business systems, including incident management, change management, and service level management processes and systems.
There are both quantifiable and qualitative benefits to adopting KCS
Consortium members who have implemented KCS in both their internal and external support organizations are reporting dramatic improvements in incident resolution and training times, in customer satisfaction, and in analyst job satisfaction. As a result, they are realizing substantial savings in operating costs at the same time they are seeing improvements in service levels. They find they can:
Solve Cases and Incidents Faster
- 50 – 60% improved time to resolution
- 30 – 50% increase in first contact resolution
Optimize Use of Resources
- 70% improved time to proficiency
- 20 – 35% improved employee retention
- 20 – 40% improvement in employee satisfaction
Enable eServices Strategy
- Improve customer success and use of web self-help
- Up to 50% case deflection
Build Organizational Learning
- Actionable information to product development about customer issues
- 10% issue reduction due to root cause removal
KCS breaks through the limitations of current support strategies and enables support organizations to deliver greater value with more efficiency. The secret? Capitalizing on what they already have – knowledge. This increased value is created and managed by capturing the collective experience of solving problems and answering questions, making it reusable, and evolving it to reflect organizational-level knowledge.
KCS takes teamwork to a new level. The organization must shift to a perspective that sees knowledge as an asset owned and maintained by the team, not by an individual or a small group of dedicated content creators. The focus of the team is to capture and improve the collective knowledge – not only to solve individual customer issues, but also to improve organizational learning.